19.3.13

Erling


Of of all the venues where art and design was presented during DesignMarch, Skúrinn (The Shed) impressed me the most. This was probably my most memorable visit (apart from The Long Moment photographic exhibition at The Nordic House, see below). I was so impressed with Skúrinn that I left only to return back with two friends without telling them where we were going or what to expect. They were equally impressed and surprised to find this unusual showroom, planted between two houses in one of the nicest residential area in Reykjavik, where apartments usually come with quite a hefty price tag. Not only that, in this rusty, crooked and tiny, tiny shed, barely spacious enough to fit the artist representing his work there plus one visitor at a time, I took probably the most photographs. I just kept seeing images all over the place and still feel I left without taking enough! 
Erling Johannesson is a goldsmith and an actor/director who has worked in theaters, in movies and on TV and the radio, acting and directing plays on RÚV, The Icelandic National Broadcasting Service. During my first visit to Skúrinn, while I was chatting away to Erling, a small radio, perched up on a shelf, was tuned to RÚV, where a play was being broadcast, humming in the background while we chatted, which I thought was a rather perfect timing. 
Erling´s jewelry collection which I loved, consists of silver jewelry, largely inspired by fish skeletons, which seem to be a source of inspiration to more Icelandic designers these days, such as Kría, another collection of jewelry which I´ve blogged about before and also really like, and product designer Róshildur Jónsdóttir,  who has created Something Fishy, a fishbone model-making kit. 
Unfortunately, not everyone can see the beauty in things, people or places that are perhaps not 100% perfect, and so, after repeated complaints from someone living close to Skúrinn, it was, as Erling had told me would happen, transported by truck, on to new adventures almost the minute after DesignMarch was officially over. I might follow up on that story because I know for a fact that one of Skúrinn´s future role in a new destination spot is rather interesting to say the least. Stay tuned!

Sorry for the blurry image but I just HAD to include the "dining room" area of Skúrinn. 

3 comments:

Jeane M. said...

Pretty! Got another inspiration in here. Thumbs up! Got my eye on your next posts.

PANICULATA said...

WOW! Just discovered you! I really like your blog ;)! Now i follow you xxx

Gabriela Rose
PANICULATA

Gerdur Hardardottir said...

Thank you so much Jeane and Gabriela, I really need to start blogging again, been awhile;-)